Monday, October 1, 2012

A day in the maternity leave life

I am on week 5 of my maternity leave (how is my kid almost 6 weeks old?!?!?) and one thing is very, very clear. I am not cut out to be a stay at home mom. I absolutely adore my son, (aah! my son!) but to perfectly honest? Infants aren't that exciting. He sleeps, a lot. He definitely has his fussy time, but mostly, he sleeps.
Mom, stop with the flash already. 
Granted, he's adorable doing it. But still. Lots of sleeps. I do find myself staring at him a lot. Because really, how can I not. Look at that perfection. Wow. It's distracting. 

But, how do I spend my time while he's sleeping and I'm not being creepy stalker mom? My day comes in short, short bursts. 

5am: Breakfast for the kidlet. He usually wakes up between 4 and 5 am, so he eats for 30-60 minutes, then we go back to sleep. 
Damn the man, save the Empire!

8am: We wake up again. Boo eats his second breakfasts and I try very hard to get him back to sleep. Usually, this results in me holding him for a couple hours (not a hardship) and him staring cutely at me like this: 
 Hi mom!

11:00 am: Tummy time. He hates tummy time, and we aim for 10 minutes before he starts screaming bloody murder and I pick him up for snuggles.
 My face is turned away from the camera because I'm grumpy. 

11:30 am: After some snuggles, we try to get outside for a bit. Sometimes this is just sitting in the backyard with the dogs, sometimes we go for a walk, or, if we're really lucky, we get to go out with friends. Today, we actually went to the apple orchard with some friends. 

Here is C meeting his first goat at the apple orchard. (Hey, it's hard to take a picture of a baby and a goat when the baby is hanging out in the moby wrap and you're taking the picture yourself.)

2:00 pm back home for second lunches, C is a hungry boy. While C is eating, I cruise the internet and check emails. One day I spent way too many hours reorganizing my pinterest boards.

3:00 pm Since we're going to Grandma's tonight, mommy needs to shower, so everyone piles into the bathroom together. We have a very small bathroom and this is tight, but we manage.

After our bath,we try to take a nap, some days it works, some days it doesn't. Daddy calls every day when he leaves work, around 4:30, and sometimes he wakes us up, sometimes we're having fussy time.

Then, Daddy comes home around 5:30-6:00 and our day is over!


  1. That sounds about right! I remember when I went back to work after Chris was born. My Mom watched him and literally he slept about 7 of the 9 hours I was gone. Looks like a fun time at the apple orchard, I miss fall. TX goes from summer to spring, and then back to summer :)

  2. I feel like I might see one (or two?) of my gifts in these pics. If not, let me think it anyway. More importantly... your kid is CUTE. And I'm not just saying that. You know I'm more prickly than soft and fuzzy, so if I say your kid is cute, I mean it.

    Congrats, Mama. Parenthood suits you well.

    Love you.

  3. I can't even believe he's that old already.



Related Posts with Thumbnails