On Sunday, I started with this:
I donned my face mask, and began painting the paint stripper on small sections of the paint, hoping to work slowly, recognizing that removing paint from cement was going to blow, big time. My plan was to do a small section at a time.
Soon, I realized that this was not, in fact, painted cinderblock. On the one hand, yay! My shower is watertight!
On the other hand, the tiles appeared to be a bargain-grab-bag variety of colors.
This is what the shower currently looks like:
removing paint is hard
Note the variety of awesome colors tiled in there. Gross. So we had a decision to make. Do we strip the paint and live with the tile, or do we demo and re-tile. Based on several factors, including the fact that the shower floor is painted cement, we've decided to demo and re-tile.
The dilemma is that we cannot bust into these tiles. Hammers, chisels, nothing is busting the grout or the tiles in this shower. We've ordered a Dremel tool (something I've been lusting after for a couple years) with a grout attachment, so hopefully that will help us break into the seams of the tiles and get started on really removing them so we can get this baby fixed up.
So that was our surprise. We're not entirely sure yet if this is good or bad, I guess time will tell!